2.05.2013

So Many Details

This past Friday, my homie Jig and I ventured out to Trees to see Toro Y Moi. My boi Chris from GorillavsBear had been hyping this guy up for months, but I was kinda ignoring him since we don't always have the same taste in music these days. But when he texted me and said that I would really dig this dude, and he had some free tickets to the concert I decided to go on YouTube and check him out. The first cut that I came across was "Say that", from the new album "Anything in Return." I liked the groove right off the top. His smooth synths awoke my curiosity so I dug deeper. I checked out some of his songs from his first album, and they were cool, as well....this is when I started kicking myself for being so closed minded. I mean I will usually try anything out but when it sounds too "weird" or something I might brush it off like I did this time. That's an idiot move cause you never know whats gonna bump and whats not. Anyway, lesson learned I hope. So, I told Chris that I DID want that hookup. The homie Jig had just flew in from San Fran, and he agreed to go with me. When we arrived in Deep Ellum I got that feeling of excitement that you get when you have been anticipating something very cool. Trees looked bigger than the last time I was there. I'm guessing that was around 2001 when Chris and I went there to see Weezer. Anyway, the venue was tight except for all the fucking hipsters in the crowd (loathe them). I guess when you think about it, this guy is a hipsters delight. What I like about him is the way he mixes 80's R&B with Electronica. The mix turns out to be so startling smooth that it takes you aback. It's almost as if he is just making 80's music...which happens to be one of my favorite genres of music. When Toro Y Moi came up for his set he got started right away with 2 nice jams that had the hipsters moving and grooving. Then he performed "Say That" and the nerds went bananas. The red laser show added a lofty, dreamy effect to the night. I felt like this guy listened to a lot of J. Dilla in the 90's like I did. The 2nd to last song was the one that I had been waiting for ....."So Many Details." It's a song of remembrance and asks the question, "What happened to us?" Love gone awry, u can never loose with that. Jig turned to me and said, "Whats this song!? I'm posting this on my Facebook tonight. This is Dope." I remembered that Chris and I had gone to so many concerts and talked about so much music that he KNEW that I would love it....he knows my musical taste. To Jig, I replied, "Yeah it is."






-tshurn

No comments:

Post a Comment