4.30.2013

Got 1-N-Done on my Mind.

The thought of the Mavericks not in the playoffs this year didn't weigh on me too long before my colleague discovered 1-N-Done Playoffs, another fantasy game ESPN has blessed sports lovers with. Excited to have something to do during the playoffs, I figured it wouldn't be too challenging - pick one player each day to play? Hell, I managed 3 fantasy football teams at one time this past year. I got this - it was going to be over before it even started. I mispoke and caught myself drinking from the same overconfidence cup as Brandon Jennings.

This game makes you scrutinize each individual player. Play their strengths, and let their team worry about their weaknesses. Only positive points are recognized - points scored, assists, and rebounds. Point values also multiply in each round of the playoffs. While this fantasy game focuses on individual players and stats, the players cannot be played if their team does not advance. Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard were obvious choices for the first week of play, as they both average a decent number of points and boards, and Gasol will even throw in a handful of assists. But which of the 4 (most assumed they would be swept) games did you play them? Game 1 would have been your best bet...the line...

Gasol 16 points, 16 rebounds, 6 assists
Howard 20 points, 15 rebounds, 1 assist

If you waited, Game 4 looked like this...

Gasol 16 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists
Howard 7 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist (can't do much if you foul out of the game...)



The two are obsolete, as far as 1-N-Done goes, now that they are out of the playoffs.

A sweep in a series one can predict. An injury to a critical player, you never want to forsee. It changes the dynamics of the team and series. I was saving Westbrook for the Western Conference Finals - guess that won't be happening. How does this affect Durant and his play? Reggie Jackson, you now have big diva shoes to fill. Good luck. And then there's Golden State's David Lee. The Warriors went into the series as the underdog. After Game 1, they became the underdog without their starting power forward. Mark Jackson went with something he is familiar with - he went small. Game 2 he started Jarrett Jack, a name not many gave much attention to prior to this series. And just like that, the Warriors are up 3-1 going into tonight's game. I start to think, Did I use Curry too soon? Will he hurt me in the next round with double points if they advance? Is his left ankle really sprained?!

Memphis and LA Clippers are tied at 2 games a piece. How long before I play Chris Paul? Will he be available after this series? Does Conley have it in him to have another big game? How much impact will the Griffin-ZBo battle under the basketball affect the next couple of games? Will this series go to 7?

This game has consumed me. It's even got me drawing players on my fridge...



And for once, I am invested in every game of the playoffs, even the Hawks-Pacers series. Which, with the exception of Paul George's triple-double recorded in Game 1, has been anything but exciting. Win or go home.


-bObD.

No comments:

Post a Comment