10.28.2013

Code (True) Blue.

Fanship is a tricky thing. You have your Homer Fans, the ones that love their hometown team. Whether it is the hometown they grew up in or the present day hometown. Then there is the Family Fan. Mom and Dad are Patriots fans, daughter grows up adoring Tom Brady. But really, who doesn't adore Brady? There will always be Bandwagon Fans. Those who are in it just for the wins - the least loyal of all fans.

Being from Texas, no one understands why I am a Titans fan, myself included. I became a fan when the team became the Tennessee Titans, post Houston Oilers. Something about McNair's sexy, big chest in the revamped Titans blue and Eddie George running with the Titans logo. I'm enamored by their logo - if I wasn't the mature, grown fan that I am, I would have my room wall-to-wall with "flaming thumbtack" Fatheads. With no ties to Tennessee at the time, my fandom was as random as the reintroduction of POG-playing days in the early 90's.

Last weekend, I went to my first Titans game at LP Stadium. It was refreshing and a lot of fun! The 49ers were the obvious favorites going into the game, but with Locker returning from injury and the 49ers offense showing recent weakness, it had the potential to be a good game. Too bad that wasn't the case.



The game was pretty much over by the end of the 3rd quarter, with a score of 24-0, San Francisco. Had it been a Dallas Cowboys game at the Deathstar, the fans would have been out the door and in their cars by the middle of the 3rd. The random lots around the stadium make a killing off of parking, especially for blowout games. But these Titans fans remained loyal in their seats, cheering on their team with beer(s) in hand. The stadium erupted at the beginning of the 4th quarter when the first Titans points were scored. A field goal by Bironas! You couldn't help but cheer and enjoy what was left of the game.

It was refreshing to look around and see people appreciate the game and the players, despite the imminent loss. No boo-ing or taunting. Just the love of the game being shared by a stadium full of fans. My team lost but I still walked out of the stadium a winner. At least Miller and Bud had me thinking I was a winner... GO TITANS!



-bObD

No comments:

Post a Comment