7.19.2013

Big Bang in The Basement.....Triple D

I wanted to go last week. It was the first week of the The Big Bang at it's new venue....The Travis in the basement. Here's the story; I'm a working stiff and my schedule varies so I could not go last week because I had to work at 5am on Friday morning and my body just won't allow me to stay out all night and wake up that early anymore....this ain't 2000 anymore kids. So, I trolled various sites and twitter feeds and saw pics and heard how great it was and I was jealous. I hate missing out on good music and good times.....we can never replicate them. I told myself that no matter what I was going to go this week (plus I didn't have to work until 2pm today!)! So I rounded up some friends that are down to party and we headed out. bObD was winning in a dart tourney at Austin Ave. so she could not go. My homie Elvis said he was down.....We headed down 75 and my friend VerniciaV (her twitter profile) texted me and asked if we could pick her up. She is actress and singer, who does professional musical theatre and sings gigs sometimes around Dallas. She loves music and I had told her about Big Bang, because I had gone to a few when Sober was spinning at the Beauty Bar....Damn, my bad, Big Bang is a weekly jam put on by one of Dallas's best DJ's, DJ Sober. Dude deals in real hip hop, soul, smooth jams...whatever you need, he got. He's also half of that new group bootyfade. They songs be hittin. Anyway, we picked her up from some place called Baboush uptown and skirted out. When we arrived at the Travis, I realized that I had been there before but it was called something else and they were kinda upscale......VerniciaV was dressed nice and cool, but me and elvis had fitteds on and tennis shoes.....The bouncer took one look at us and said "Ya'll here for the basement huh?" And pointed us down the back of an alley. We walked down into the basement and it was chill down there. It was about 10:30 (early), so it was just some scattered people down there and Sober was already spinning some good shit. It's not a big area, but the ambiance was on point. It was dark and moody. they had plants and mirrors everywhere, a section with a pool table and some nice 70's era couches and chairs spread out. There was one main bar and a mini bar with a chick manning the mini. She had on a snapback and a long sleeve silk shirt....long hair coming out of the snapback, weird shit, just like I like it.

I could tell right off the bat that people come to Big Bang for a few things. First and foremost; the music. Sober was spinning a myriad of jams that are right up my alley. He was bumping That Eryka Badu when we walked in...."push up the fader, bust the meter, shake the tweeter, bump it!"....I think that's how it goes, I was geeked. Also, the vibe. So many different kinds on people go there to experience the eclectic mix that Sober brings. He jumped from "Adorn" (which VerniciaV was singing loud in my face ;) ), to oldschool HOV, which me and Elvis where reciting word for word. There was no beef, not much posturing and everyone was there to have a good time. Towards the end of the night, Picnic, the other half of Bootyfade showed up and MC'ed a lil bit. It was dope. We left out about 1 because my com padres had to work in the AM, but I coulda stayed till 2. I will most def be hitting it up again. Here at Words we promote good shit and here in Dallas, it don't get no better on a Thursday night than Big Bang at The Travis with DJ Sober......music transcends yo.


-tshurn

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for highlighting this spot- great spot, great vibe and the best mix of music!!! Check it out.

    ReplyDelete