8.08.2013

The Johnny Football thing....

Okay, I admit it. I lied. I tweeted that I wouldn't post about all this Johnny Football stuff until it was resolved or whatever it was that I tweeted late one night. I'm going back on all of that because, number 1, I can't wait, and number 2, I came to the realization that this shit is just gonna drag on and on prolly. I really have a patience problem so I have to get these views off of my chest right now. Johnny Manziel likes to party. We can tell this from watching Sportscenter most nights or from his twitter feed. Either or take your pick. So what???, is what I was saying a few weeks ago. Dude is a 20 year old college student who just won the Heisman trophy. Let him do his thing. Then came SEC media day and it hit me. This guy plays a team sport. The unwanted media attention on him and his actions affect his team in a negative manor. It's hard enough for teenagers and youngmen to stay on task as it is. His coach looks so beat down that I actually feel sorry for him. My view began to change after SEC media day. Then came Wright Thompson's poignant interview and article with the Manziel family. I started thinking that Johnny Football was really heading for trouble. Not 7 days later did the latest Manziel "scandal" come out. Turns out the NCAA is investigating whether or not Johnny accepted cash for autographing merchandise. In the NCAA's eyes that action is a big no no. One that could lead to no Johnny Football this fall. I don't think ya'll heard me. THIS FALL! First and foremost, here on the rocks we are Sports fans. We want to see Johnny play against Alabama, and LSU. We want to see if he can accomplish the daunting task of equaling last season's Heisman campaign. These are the things that make sports so marketable. Now, with marketability comes the cheese...the cash. A&M is definitely taking a piece of it. The NCAA is taking a piece of it.....Now it seems as if Johnny himself, with the help of his personal assistant/best friend Uncle Nate, is getting it EARLY too. Johnny comes from a rich oil family. He has money. Johnny wants play money so he can live the NFL lifestyle now. There are no real villains or heroes in this Texas tall tale. It seems that everyday more information is coming out. If you ask this blogger of his humble opinion it would be this. Johnny will play this year, but the distractions will pull his production down a bit. Saban will be ready for A&M this year and he is a very vengeful person. Johnny football may even get hurt that game. The NCAA will have a hard time finding evidence that Manziel took money for his signature.  If he did take money it was cash. However this fiasco ends, I hope it ends with Johnny playing football again. The very thing that made us all take notice in the first place.



-tshurn

No comments:

Post a Comment